Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tapering - Second try

So, after talking to Robyn and doing some research online I found that my idea of a few relaxed runs during taper is not the approach most people recommend.  Some targeted interval speed work is good, getting the body used to running fast.  So today I decided I'd do a mile run to warm up,  then alternate some faster half miles with slower paced stretches.

It didn't really work out that well, unfortunately. The first mile was OK, if somewhat awkward and slow. The first fast half mile went by well, I felt fast until the end, when I started feeling a stitch in my side.  The next half mile was slow, then I started a faster half and it was clear that it wasn't going to work.  The stitch came back and I gave up on the pace and just jogged a bit.  After that I just opted to survive the run at a slow steady pace, somewhat disillusioned with my run.  It really was a blow to my psyche, after several really good runs to have such a bad one and so close to my next race.  This was supposed to be my taper -- a time of energy and rest.  Instead I found myself sore and slow.

But having had a little time to reflect on this I think it's because of a few things:
  • I haven't a clue how to train intervals, how fast to go, how to transition, resting in between, etc.  If I want to do this right I need to find a coach or running group and not try to do this on my own all the time.
  • I really need rest.  No matter what my training schedule says, I need to listen to my body and rest when it tells me to.  I've run every day but one since last Wed, including a few fast longer runs, with my only day off a 25 mile bike ride.  Tomorrow is a rest day.
  • Bad days happen.  Don't let it occupy your brain too much.  Accept it, move on.
So, I'm moving on.  Tomorrow is a rest day and I'm looking forward to it.

And I signed up for the Jack London 10K trail race next month. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment