Friday, October 15, 2010

Disappointed

A month ago an email came across my screen letting me know that my company has 20 bibs available for the 2011 Boston Marathon for fund raising runners.  They do a lottery to determine which employees get the privilege of running the race, with the results announced today.  In a fit of whimsy I put my name in, knowing that the chances of getting a bib were pretty remote -- it's a big company. But what the heck, why not?  I've been careful not to get my hopes up but I know I had some fantasies about running Boston for my first marathon.

Well, the email came today and I wasn't selected.  I'm on the waiting list, but I'm pretty sure that means I won't be getting a call any time soon. So I'm shifting to plan B, there are two marathons in May that will work fine with my schedule so I'm adjusting my sights as I type.  I'm a little surprised at how much not getting a bib for Boston has hit me; I guess I've been somewhat unsuccessful at not getting my hopes up. On the plus side, this means I can teach at AMC Leader Training in the spring and the long runs won't cut into my winter skiing program as much.

But Boston would have been very special. Looks like it will have to wait until a later year.  Maybe by then I'll be able to qualify. :)

Meanwhile, more rest for me.  Tomorrow is the race Expo and then the Bay State Half Marathon on Sunday morning.  The forecast is for temps in the 40's and sunny at the 8:00 AM start time.  I'm going to have fun running with Bob, Chris, Chris, and Dani. Plus a few 1000 others.