Monday, November 7, 2011

First day back

It's been 3 weeks since my last run.  I think that's probably the longest I've gone between runs in over a year.  After the Bay State half marathon I came down with a nasty cold that hung around for 3 weeks.  It's still hanging around but I can deal with the symptoms now.  I've gone to the gym a few times to ride the bike but it's not the same thing. Whether it's running, biking, or hiking, there's something transformative about traveling distance under your own power that you simply don't get from stationary exercise.

So this morning I put on the tights and long sleeve shirt, hat, gloves, and MP3 player, and off I went in the standard time driven sunshine with a cough drop in my mouth and a song in my ear.  At 6:30 I could see my breath even though the day promised to warm up to the 60's. My legs weren't tight, that was a good sign, and I loped off at a steady pace.  Lord, I really had missed this, taking the turn before Harvard Yard and heading for the river.  There were a lot of crew boats on the water this morning, taking advantage of the nice weather and sunlight.  I decided to limit myself to a 3.5 mile route, no point pushing things too hard.  I turned at the Western Ave bridge instead of going on to River St and headed for home.

Not a bad day run; certainly not a record setter but it felt comfortable.  I've gotten out of my stretching routine in the past couple of weeks, and I've definitely put on a few pounds so it's time to get back to a routine.  It's also approaching winter so I want to set up a cross training program that gets me on the bike, out skiing, and even in a pool somewhere so I can prepare for a triathlon in 2012.

And so it goes.  It's good to be back, I missed it here.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! It's eastern standard time, by the way, but who's quibbling? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what you are talking about.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete